Sunday, October 14

Burgundy Brilliance

So here is my second style post, and the focus this week is my favourite colour for A/W 2012, Burgundy. Call it what you like, burgundy/oxblood/wine/maroon, this colour trend is definitely one that I have fallen for; a splash of burgundy can make any outfit look that little bit more sophisticated and edgey. What's even better is it's a colour that creeps back into fashion every once in a while as it's such a classic colour, meaning you can recycle your old clothes back into your wardrobe, and buy items knowing that one day, they'll become fashionable again! Here I have used two main burgundy pieces, a pencil skirt and a dress,but tried to show how you can wear them differently to create a variation of looks.

Once upon a time, I used to think pencil skirts were for work wear only, but it is so easy to dress one up or down. Here, I have shown two ways to wear the same clothing pieces. In the first, I have simply tucked a tank top into the skirt and thrown on an oversized denim shirt and added a pair of burgundy loafers to compliment the skirt. By counteracting the fitted shape of the skirt with the oversized shirt and everyday tee it balances out to give a casual look. In the second I had used the same shirt but buttoned it up to the top, and layered it with my new favourite purchase, an aztec monochrome jumper, and finished it off with a gold spike necklace and gold chain ankle boots. Layering is big for A/W; layering a buttoned up shirt under an oversized jumper or sweater looks preppy and great for the reemergence of the mod look this season.  


 



The second two pictures use a dress I bought recently, and I love the delicate lace midi skirt detailing, perfect for the current gothic trend! The left picture shows how the dress can be worn for the night, with matching burgundy drop necklace and burgundy wedges.. there is nothing wrong with head to toe burgundy! In the second picture, I have made the look a little more casual by adding the monochrome jumper. Lace trim skirts are bang on the gothic/ trend at the moment so make the most of them by teaming with anything from a velvet body to a leather jacket to a cross embroidered tee


From left to right:
 Picture 1. Denim Shirt - Vintage, Jimmi Hendrix Tank - Topshop, Burgundy Pencil Skirt - H&M, Gold Chain Burgundy Loafers - Topshop.
Picture 2: Denim Shirt - Vintage, Aztec Monochrome Jumper - TK Maxx, Burgundy Pencil Skirt - H&M, Gold Spike Necklace - Newlook, Gold Chain Ankle Boots - Topshop.
Picture 3: Lace Skirted Dress - Club L at ASOS, Burgundy Drop Necklace - Newlook, Leggings - Topshop, Burgundy Cross Strap Wedges - Newlook.
Picture 4: Lace Skirted Dress - Club L at ASOS, Burgundy Drop Necklace - Newlook, Aztec Monochrome Jumper - TK Maxx,  Leggings - Topshop, Burgundy Cross Strap Wedges - Newlook.



Here are some lovely illustrations of my styling done by my mum, Morag. She has sent me these all the way from Lytham St Annes, a mere 335 miles away from Aberdeen, so the use of the postcard is very apt and thoughtful! My mum is a keen artist in her spare time and has her own blog displaying some of her artwork, if you find a minute take a look; I have provided a link to her blog to the right of my page. 

Thanks for reading,






1 comment:

  1. Much prefer the new blog name, after all Fashion shouldn't lead to bankrupt existence... Penniless sounds less damaging :)

    ReplyDelete